The British Columbia (B.C.) Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy (the ministry) has published a Hazardous Waste Regulation Policy Intentions Paper. BC is engaging with key partners and stakeholders on these proposed amendments through this Intentions Paper.
The Intentions Paper proposes changes for the collection and transportation of household hazardous waste and similar wastes from institutional and commercial sources. These wastes are referred to using the new term “moderate risk wastes” and examples include waste automotive oil, oil-based paint, lead-acid batteries, lithium and lithium ion batteries, and unused gasoline.
The ministry is proposing the amendments to:
- Better support the diversion of moderate risk wastes from the municipal waste stream (for example, by better facilitating the diversion of these wastes from landfills)
- Develop requirements for storage and transport that are more achievable and practical while remaining protective of human health and the environment
- Harmonize requirements under the Hazardous Waste Regulation with the Recycling Regulation
The scope of the proposed amendments is limited to:
- Collecting and storing moderate risk wastes at return collection facilities (RCFs) (where generators of waste, such as members of the public, drop off their household hazardous waste) and
- Transporting these wastes from RCFs to downstream hazardous waste management facilities.
Regulatory requirements for downstream facilities, including facilities that dispose, treat, or process hazardous waste, are out of scope for the proposed amendments.
The ministry welcomes your input regarding the proposed amendments. The ministry will review all submitted comments and feedback to inform the development of policy and these amendments. To read the Intentions Paper and complete the online feedback form, please see
- The Intentions Paper: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/waste-management/hazardous-waste/hazardous-waste/legsregs/hwr-ip.pdf [gov.bc.ca] (PDF)
- Feedback Form: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/waste-management/hazardous-waste/hazardous-waste/legsregs/hwr-ip_comment_form.pdf [gov.bc.ca] (PDF)
Please email feedback to [email protected] by July 30, 2021.
We will be offering a series of informational webinars on the Intentions Paper. Please note that the same presentation will be offered at all the sessions. If you are interested in participating in a webinar, please register by contacting us at [email protected] or 778-698-4888. Below are the scheduled dates and times for each session:
- Session #1: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM PST
- Session #2: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM PST
If you have any questions about the Intentions Paper, or any other amendments to the Environmental Management Act that are being contemplated, please do not hesitate to contact Michael Schwalb, Senior Policy Specialist, at 778-698-4888 or [email protected].
Thank you for taking the time to consider our request.
Erin Scraba (she/her) MPA BA
Director, Clean Technologies
Environmental Standards Branch
Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy
[email protected] // 250.893.2725