Since 1994 the SWANA Pacific Chapter has offered a number of scholarship awards each year to encourage students studying in disciplines related to solid waste management at British Columbia and Yukon universities or colleges. In this time, over 70 scholarship awards totalling over $50,000 have been provided to students from eight different post-secondary institutions. Last year the awards were $1500 each.
The scholarships, sponsored by Ecowaste Industries Ltd., are in memory of Stuart Somerville who was a very active member of SWANA and particularly the Pacific Chapter. Stuart was a true solid waste professional, a Chapter director, a certified SWANA instructor for a number of courses, the chapter’s first webmaster and a mentor and advisor to many in the business of solid waste management.
While any students in programs relevant to solid waste management or environmental protection are eligible for these awards, special consideration will be given to applicants who are members of SWANA or are immediate relatives (parent, child, spouse) of a SWANA Pacific Chapter member.
Recipients of the Stuart Somerville Memorial Scholarships will be determined by a panel of SWANA Pacific Chapter Directors and will be chosen on the basis of:
- intended course of studies and its relations to solid waste management
- academic performance
- involvement in school and community activities
- involvement in activities beside regular course work which is related to solid waste management or environmental protection
- a brief written submission (500 words or less)
- preference may be given to SWANA members or their immediate relatives
Recipients of SWANA Scholarships are not eligible for awards in the year immediately following but will become eligible again in 2 years. For example, a winner in 2020 would not be eligible in 2022 but would be eligible in 2023.
- Completed SWANA Pacific Chapter Scholarship Application Form must be received on or before October 14, 2022.
- Applicants must be registered in a full course of studies in an environmental management or a related program at a recognized post-secondary institution in British Columbia or the Yukon.
- Applicants must have completed their first year of post-secondary studies.
To be considered for one of these scholarships, the applicant must submit the following:
- written submission as described in application form
- transcript or copy of last year’s statement of marks
- reference letter from a faculty member
- proof of registration for current Fall or Winter session, 2022-2023
Applicants receiving scholarships will be notified before November 7, 2022. Awards will be made at the SWANA Annual General Meeting November 23, 2022.
Completed application packages should be sent to:
4554 Valley Road
North Vancouver, BC V7K 2M2
Attention: Mike Stringer