Through interactive classroom exercises, discussions, and case studies, this updated Canadian course reviews up-to-date basic landfill operations processes and how they relate to one another, increasing effectiveness and safety on the job.
The SWANA Landfill Operations Basics (LOB) training program is a basic course for landfill operations staff and is a good primer course for those professionals interested in acquiring their Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) Certification. The course teaches landfill staff how to operate a modern sanitary landfill. Issues covered include waste receiving and scale house operations, spotting and waste screening, equipment selection, operational and compaction issues and techniques, safety, special operations and littler control as well as environmental monitoring and control of landfill gas, leachate and surface runoff. The course includes a site visit and tour of an operating landfill if within easy distance and availability of the course teaching location.
Upon completion of this 2-day course, participants should understand:
- The role of the sanitary landfill as a component of an integrated solid waste management system
- Key functions and associated processes within landfill operations
- The basics of landfill gas and leachate management and groundwater monitoring
- Essentials of equipment selection, cell construction and litter management
- The fundamentals of accident prevention
Who Should Attend
Landfill owners, operators, managers, supervisors/foremen, scalehouse operators, equipment operators, spotters, laborers and other employees responsible for daily landfill operation.
The course manual is Landfill Operations Basics, Canadian Edition. The manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs and examples for participants to discuss and serves as an on-the-job reference resource.
- The Sanitary Landfill in Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Gate Attendant & Scalehouse Operations
- Spotting and Waste Screening
- Equipment Selection and Maintenance
- Cell Construction & Compaction
- Litter Control
- Landfill Safety
- Hard-to-Handle Wastes
- Special Wastes
- Nuisance and Health Issues
- Landfill Gas Generation and Management
- Leachate Production and Management
- Groundwater Monitoring
- See our training schedule page for upcoming offerings.