The SWANA Pacific Chapter (British Columbia & Yukon) is pleased to once again host SWANA Day, on Wednesday, November 23, 2022, at SFU Harbour Centre, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
This annual event creates a collaborative environment where a diverse array of waste professionals can gather, learn and network.
SWANA Day 2021 was a successful online event with representation from all stakeholders in the solid waste industry with more professionals able to attend the presentations due to the online format. Help SWANA close out 2022 with crucial waste-related content and in-person networking opportunities provided by SWANA Day!
SWANA Day Agenda
07:30 – 08:30 AM Registration and Continental Breakfast
08:30 – 08:35 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks
08:35 – 09:30 AM Session 1 – When Disaster Strikes
Moderator: Heidi Gerlach, Dillon Consulting
- Speaker – Tara Friesen, City of Chilliwack
- Speaker – Cameron Baughen, Baughen Consulting
- Speaker – Betsy Varghese, Dillon Consulting
09:30 – 10:25 AM Session 2 – Moving Up the Hierarchy, Reduce and Reuse
Moderator: Rita Farkas, Metro Vancouver – National Zero Waste Council
- Speaker – Anastasia Kiku, Reuseables
- Speaker – Cody Irwin, ShareWares
- Speaker – Alicia Gowan, Ocean Ambassadors
10:25 – 11:00 AM Networking Opportunity
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Session 3 – Successful Organics Management
Moderator: Deacon Liddy, GHD
- Speaker – Sean Kawakami, Convertus
- Speaker – Wilbert Yang, Tetra Tech
- Speaker – Russell Zishiri, Anaconda
12:00 – 12:30 PM AGM – Details
12:30 – 13:30 PM Lunch and Networking
13:30 – 14:30 PM Session 4 – Battery / End Market Recycling
Moderator: Wilbert Yang, Tetra Tech
- Speaker – Lyndsay Poaps, Recycling Council of British Columbia
- Speaker – Colin McKean, Canadian Battery Association
- Speaker – Zarko Meseldzija, RecycLiCo Battery Materials Inc.
14:30 – 15:15 PM Session 5 – Government Updates
Moderator: Tauseef Waraich, City of Burnaby
- Speaker – Allen Jensen, Metro Vancouver
- Exciting Speaker to Come
- Exciting Speaker to Come
15:15 – 15:20 PM Closing Remarks and Chapter Updates
15:20 – 17:00 PM Networking Opportunity
Continental breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided. We will try to accommodate all dietary requirements. Please make note on the registration form in the appropriate fields.
Please see the attached pdf for parking around SFU Vancouver Campus.
Skytrain – Waterfront Station is only a few minutes walk from the SFU Vancouver Campus.
If you require hotel accommodation, there are a number of hotels in the immediate area and throughout the downtown core:
Delta Hotels Vancouver Downtown Suites
550 West Hastings Street
Ramada Hotel Downtown Vancouver
435 W Pender Street
St. Regis Hotel
602 Dunsmuir Street