This course addresses the factors in the design, operation and management of a transfer station. It deals with how to effectively communicate and overcome the challenges in planning and operating a transfer station and how planning and design affect construction and operation. You will also learn how a well-planned, designed and operated transfer station provides advantages and flexibility to a waste management system.
We are offering this SWANA training as preparation for the Transfer Station certification exam or as a standalone course. Earn 30 CEU’s upon completion of this course and exam.
After completing this course, learners should be able to:
- Discuss and understand the steps, factors, local requirement in site selection and development and conceptual design.
- Describe site specific characteristics such as peak flows, waste processing and hauling technologies, and building design.
- Implement procedures in protecting transfer station property, identifying problematic waste and compliance requirements.
- Minimize risk to personnel, maintain and properly use diverse equipment.
- Plan and ensure all regulatory requirements and develop a comprehensive recordkeeping program are incorporated.
- Employ proactive communication with employers, customers and the general public.
Who Should Attend?
Transfer Station managers, developers, consulting engineers, and transfer haul drivers will benefit from this course COURSE CONTENT The course consists of lectures, class activities, exercises, and a facility tour (when available in proximity to the class location) to see theory in everyday practice. The text for the course is Managing Transfer Stations Systems. This comprehensive manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs, examples and exercises. It serves as an on the job reference.
- Siting and Conceptual Design
- Transfer Station Design
- Operational Efficiency and Maintenance of Transfer Stations
- Waste Screening
- Equipment Operation and Maintenance
- Emergency and Contingency Plans
- Regulatory and Permit Compliance
- Protection of Human Health and the Environment Record Keeping
- Effective Communication
- June 10-12, 2019 with the exam the morning of June 13, 2019 – Vancouver area [SOLD OUT]