In order to prepare the next generation for the environmentally and economically sound practice of solid waste, SWANA has developed several scholarship and internship programs for students studying in fields related to solid waste, recycling or sustainable resource management. The following scholarships are offered via SWANA International.
Grant H. Flint International Scholarship Program
Participation in the Grant H. Flint International Scholarship Program begins at the Chapter level. Contact the chapter in which your state or province is located for their specific application requirement.
Completed applications must be received by respective chapters no later than May 2nd of the current calendar year. The Chapter Scholarship Committees are responsible for reviewing and selecting local winners, and forwarding one representative for each scholarship category to the International Scholarship Committee for review.
Schedule for Selection
- May 1 — Deadline for submission of application materials to Chapter Scholarship Committee. (If your sponsor is an international member of SWANA, please complete this application and send it directly to Sara Bixby in her role as SWANA’s Staff Scholarship Administrator no later than end of May 1st.)
- June 2 — Deadline for submission of Chapter candidates for review by International Scholarship Committee
- July/August — Announcement of International Scholarship winners
- Category I: Graduating high school seniors or graduate equivalent certified candidates who have been accepted for enrollment in a junior college, a four-year college, or a university (any program). To be eligible, candidates must be the children or grandchildren of a SWANA Member (sponsor) in good standing as of May 1st of the current calendar year. Download the 2023 Grant H. Flint Scholarship Application: Category I
- Category II: Currently enrolled full-time college or university students who are entering their junior or senior undergraduate year and pursuing a degree in environmental science, engineering, or other suitable major related to the field of solid waste management. To be eligible, candidates must be the children or grandchildren of a SWANA Member (sponsor) in good standing as of May 1st of the current calendar year or SWANA Student Members in good standing. Download the 2023 Grant H. Flint Scholarship Application: Category II
Applications are due to your Sponsor’s Chapter Scholarship Committee Chair no later than May 1, 2023. Chapters will evaluate all applications and can send one nomination for the $5,000 US Category II (College/University Junior or Senior) Scholarship to SWANA by June 2, 2023. SWANA awards will be announced during summer 2023.
The total amount given within Category I and Category II will be $20,000. The amount for each individual award will be determined by the International Scholarship Committee.2023 Grant H. Flint Scholarship Application: Category I 2023 Grant H. Flint Scholarship Application: Category 2
The Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers Scholarship Award
Schedule for Selection
- May 1, 2023 — Deadline for submission of application materials to Chapter Scholarship Committee.
Criteria for Selection
Full-time students who are entering or are in graduate school pursuing a degree in environmental science, engineering or other suitable major related to the field of solid waste management. Eligible candidates must be sons, daughters, grandsons or granddaughters of a SWANA Member (sponsor) in good standing as of May 1st or SWANA Student Members in good standing. Download the 2023 Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers Scholarship Application
1 award of $5,000The Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers Scholarship Award
Harvey W. Gershman Scholarship
SWANA also administers the $5,000 Harvey W. Gershman Scholarship, named for SWANA life member and co-founder of Gershman, Brickner & Bratton (GBB). This scholarship is prioritized for undergraduate students enrolled at Northeastern University, Boston, MA interested in a career in the solid waste industry.
Criteria for Selection
Students from Northeastern University are particularly encouraged to apply, but all Category II scholarship applicants may also be considered for this prestigious award. Download the 2023 Harvey W. Gershman Scholarship Application
The new scholarship of $5,000 a year is funded by a generous donation from Harvey Gershman. SWANA will manage the scholarship as part of its annual Grant H. Flint International Scholarship program.The Harvey W Gershman Scholarship
Become a Member
This is a great opportunity to become a member of SWANA. Remember that student memberships are free!