Through interactive classroom exercises, discussions, and case studies, this updated Canadian course reviews up-to-date basic landfill operations processes and how they relate to one another, increasing effectiveness and safety on the job.
Upon completion of this 2-day course, participants should understand:
- The role of the sanitary landfill as a component of an integrated solid waste management system
- Key functions and associated processes within landfill operations
- The basics of landfill gas and leachate management and groundwater monitoring
- Essentials of equipment selection, cell construction and litter management
- The fundamentals of accident prevention
Who Should Attend
Landfill owners, operators, managers, supervisors/foremen, scalehouse operators, equipment operators, spotters, laborers and other employees responsible for daily landfill operation.
The course manual is Landfill Operations Basics. This manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs and examples for participants to discuss and serves as an on-the-job reference resource.
- The Sanitary Landfill in Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Gate Attendant & Scalehouse Operations
- Spotting and Waste Screening
- Equipment Selection and Maintenance
- Cell Construction & Compaction
- Litter Control
- Landfill Safety
- Special Operating Concerns
- Landfill Gas Generation and Management
- Leachate Production and Management
- Groundwater Monitoring
- April 30 – May 1, 2018 – Trail, BC [REGISTER]
- September 2018 – Vancouver Island [REGISTRATION COMING SOON]